HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  FIGHT! WebsiteFIGHT! Website  

Share | 

Thoughts on the Kyle Maynard situation...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jim
Admin

PostSubject: Thoughts on the Kyle Maynard situation...   Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:05 am

http://sherdog.com/news/news/maynard-loses-leaves-cage-unscathed-17190

I don't know who's heard of this, but basically the guy is a congenital amputee competing in MMA.

Doesn't really sit well with me. I suppose he's never going to go up against anybody who poses a legitimate safety threat.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fight-online.blogspot.com
Brahm
Kalib Starnes

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on the Kyle Maynard situation...   Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:53 am

I'm all for him doing whatever he wants to do, and I'm not going to tell any man how to make decisions.

That being said, his fighting really shouldn't have been promoted the way that it was. I could have done without the Larry King Live stuff, and he definitely shouldn't have been fighting on the top slot of the card. He was an 0-0 fighter making his debut, and should have been seen as such, which I think fits into his whole philosophy behind taking the fight...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Greer
Kalib Starnes

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on the Kyle Maynard situation...   Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:20 pm

I'm not one to try and stop someone from doing something, especially not because of a handicap, but...

I'm not 6'8" and I have no jump shot... I'm not trying to play a pick-up with Lebron James.
I can't swim for shit and can't breathe underwater... I'm not trying to race Michael Phelps.

If you don't have arms and legs, maybe you shouldn't take up a sport that REQUIRES arms and legs.

I think it just makes the sport look bad and quite frankly, it's still in it's infancy. Right now, sure, there's a huge following, but it's still a very young sport. The sport doesn't need any more publicity that makes it look like a cockfight or circus act.

Not to mention, who wants to be the dude who won that fight? Shit, it went to a decision, you'd never hear the end of that in my gym. "You couldn't finish the dude with no legs?! WTF??"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jim
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on the Kyle Maynard situation...   Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:28 pm

Greer wrote:

Not to mention, who wants to be the dude who won that fight? Shit, it went to a decision, you'd never hear the end of that in my gym. "You couldn't finish the dude with no legs?! WTF??"

Indeed.

If anyone has seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail, I can't shake the Black Knight scene when thinking of this.

It does come across as a [cheap] publicity stunt to me. I'm all for trying to overcome obstacles and whatnot, but this just makes me uncomfortable.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fight-online.blogspot.com
Dave
Kalib Starnes

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on the Kyle Maynard situation...   Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:16 pm

Greer wrote:
I'm not one to try and stop someone from doing something, especially not because of a handicap, but...

I'm not 6'8" and I have no jump shot... I'm not trying to play a pick-up with Lebron James.
I can't swim for shit and can't breathe underwater... I'm not trying to race Michael Phelps.

If you don't have arms and legs, maybe you shouldn't take up a sport that REQUIRES arms and legs.

I think it just makes the sport look bad and quite frankly, it's still in it's infancy. Right now, sure, there's a huge following, but it's still a very young sport. The sport doesn't need any more publicity that makes it look like a cockfight or circus act.

Greer made a helluva point.

Lets say I weighted 110lbs, and was 4'11...

I'm not trying to become a defensive end for the Chicago Bears.

I admire the heart this kids has, but at some point you just have to step into reality.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Greer
Kalib Starnes

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on the Kyle Maynard situation...   Sun May 03, 2009 1:11 pm

The Fight

Embarrassing to watch.

I will say this for him though, he pushed forward more than Thales Leites. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on the Kyle Maynard situation...   

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on the Kyle Maynard situation...
Page 1 of 1