FIGHT! MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  FIGHT! WebsiteFIGHT! Website  

Kyle McIntosh Interview

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kyle McIntosh
Kalib Starnes

Kyle McIntosh Interview Empty
PostSubject: Kyle McIntosh Interview   Kyle McIntosh Interview EmptyMon May 18, 2009 10:45 pm

Courtesy of: aroundtheoctagon.com/

Kyle McIntosh Interview

May 18th, 2009

How did you get started as a Mixed Martial Artist?

Back when I was a teenager I was really into kickboxing. I’ve been doing it since I was 14. It was always my dream to be a pro kickboxer. Does that sound stupid? Ha, well Mom and Dad thought so. Back home in St. Louis, I entered some kickboxing tournaments when I was around 18 or 19. It was fun and I wanted more, but those fights were hard to come by after a while. There were some MMA tournaments going on though, that I signed up for while still confident from my few kickboxing matches. I got more than I bargained for and was submitted by some low level jiu-jitsu guy in my first match. Apparently I never learned my lesson, because the same damn thing happened to me in my next fight. I was naïve and one dimensional back then, and I really had a lot to learn.

How did your family react to you being a fighter?

They said “You’re skipping college for this?” Unsatisfied with the way things were working out, I asked myself the same question. So, I started attending school at the University of Wisconsin not long after those first fights to shut up the folks and works on my smarts. That accounts for a good five year gap in between fights, and a lot of that training that I needed.

What brought you back?

Well, I never felt that I left.. I just took a really really long break. I took up jiu-jitsu and was at the gym constantly, and I’d still compete in some kickboxing matches. Anthony Wordsworth, one of my roommates while in college, happened to be a wrestler. He was kinda amazed by my MMA background, even though it was quite pathetic. His persistence in bringing up the subject kinda led us both into seeking out a gym and settling at Milwaukee Top Team. Five years after my sorry first fights, I fought at a show in Milwaukee and got my first win ever. I was pumped, and fell in love with it all over again.

What would you say your strengths are as a fighter?

Strengths… well, is that implying I have weaknesses? I’m quite well rounded, I’d say. I’m at least better than my opponent at something depending on who it is. If I had to settle on an answer though, I would say… my intelligence! I get my wins cause my shit is genius, and my skill at avoiding punches to my face. Also, submissions. There you go.

How did you get the nickname “Stretch”?

It’s a nickname I’ve had since I was a kid. I think it was some skinny guy joke. I’ve always been quite lithe. I have never been fond of that nickname, but I’ve been called worse things.

You’re now competing in FIGHT! out of California. What brought you from the Midwest to there?

Despite my just okay looking record of 5-2-1, I was undefeated in six fights within two years. The FIGHT! guys liked the goods I was showing since my reboot and signed me up to a deal.

Your first fight there was with the well-traveled Jason Mercer. It seemed liked there was a lot of heat going into the fight between you and Mercer. What was going on there?

Ah, I think he was just trying to spook me out. At the weigh-ins he was talking trash and doing the whole pivot forward and try and make me flinch thing. You know that old trick. I didn’t quite crap on myself like I think he was aiming at, but it made people more interested in my fight. I was pretty much an unknown going in there, but by the time of the fight I had a few people chanting “Kyle, Kyle!”. That was cool, so thanks to Mercer for that.

Mercer was probably considered the favorite to become the first Welterweight Champion for FIGHT! You managed to get the unanimous decision victory. Where does this put you in the rankings?

Near the top, I’d imagine. I can’t say for sure now because the division is so young and not very deep. I don’t know if the title will be decided for a while. I kinda think I really threw a wrench into the works with that win over Mercer. His credentials were a lot better than mine. I imagine it’s going to be a tough road to the title from here on out, but I’ll keep on fighting.

You’ve got a fight with the debuting Julius Rembrandt at FIGHT!’s May 23rd event . He’s another Midwestern fighter. Were you familiar with him prior to the fight announcement?

Yeah, I’ve heard of the guy. We’re both Midwesterners, with him being from Chicago and me from St. Louis and fighting out of Milwaukee. So, there’s certainly some familiarity. I’ve never competed in the same promotions as him, but I almost did. I think it was inevitable that some promoter spotted us and have our paths cross. I never expected it to be a California based one though!

Julius Rembrandt seems to have a really abrasive personality. What do you think about this?

Abrasive? You think so? I thought he sounded like a real sweetie pie. Well, what I’m hearing from him is that he’s really good. I mean, he says so himself so I’ll take his word for it. He seems to treasure his record too, so I just hope the guy doesn’t hate me when I get the W and he gets the L!

Anything you want to say to the fans?

I hope I can enertain you all with some great fights! Watch me! Also, a big shout out to my sponsor Condom Wearhouse! Thanks for the money!
Back to top Go down

Kyle McIntosh Interview
Page 1 of 1